Thursday, October 14, 2010

Prednisone



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX-jRppbjEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jLToe6diKs

Typically when we hear the word steroids, we tend to relate it to athletes, body builders, and even to medical drug abuse. Although we may think there is only one type of steriod, there is in fact three types, anabolic, androgenic and cortico steroids. One type of steroid that is typically used in the medical field is Prednisone, . Classified as a Cortico Steroid Prednisone works in such a way that it mimics natural anti-inflammatory substances, it blocks allergic reaction by mimimizing and preventing the body's reaction to the allergen.  So how does this relate to anyone at all? Well people you may know may be taking this medicine, because it is used to treat an endless list of chronic, and even typical diseases and conditions. Prednisone is used to relieve allergy syptoms, to treat Addison's disease, arthritis, asthma, brain swelling, pulmonary disease, leukemia, lymphoma, and well the list seems to never end.
Many people love how this medicine works, but they hate it as well, because of the side effects, and the long term effects as well. Side effects include high blood sugar, severe belly pain, weight gain, mood changes, depression, and cataracts, glaucoma, or weakened bones with long term use.
So why exactly am I so interested to learn about Prednisone? Simply because about five years ago my older sister was diagnosed with chrone's disease, and a year ago diagnosed with lupus, and throughout all these years she's been treated with Prednisone. All the while I wondered why steriods? 
She was put on this medication to treat the ulcers on her intestinal tracts, and all the while as a family we watched her as she grew better but worse at the same time. She began loosing hair, her bones became fragile, and to this day the efects on her will last forever. The doctors have told her that the medicine itself has stopped her from growing, but through it all she has been strong.
There are so many day to day people we know that may take steroids and we're so clueless about it and what they have to go through.



20 comments:

  1. What facts surprised you?
    I know a little about steroids in medication, because I have asthma and I take a type of steroid. The doctor always tells me that the steroid is affect on my health is greater then the risk of taking it. Some side affects seems horrible, and they are, but a doctor wouldn't prescribe something that isn't going to help a patient overall.

    What questions do you still have?
    I wonder if this type of steroid is found in other medications, and if so which ones?

    What information is most memorable about this subject?
    Thank you for sharing why this topic matters. It's always memorable to see how a writer is directly affected by what they are writing. I hope all is well in your family.

    What suggestions do you have for the blog creator?
    I actually liked the set up of the blog. When I logged into it, I thought I was in an actual web link for a medication. Great job with that by the way. And I don't have any suggestions regarding this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that there are many types of steroids.
    what side effects might steroids have?
    that people can be treated with steroids.
    i think this blog is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What suprised me was that it had many side effects that are more of a annoyance than anything thing else. Also that steroids are used so much in medicine.
    Some questions I still have is why do doctors prescribe steroids? Why was it used in the case of your sister and what happen because she used it? What else are steroids used for?
    The information that was most memerable was that there was three types of steroids. Each is used for different purposes.
    Some suggestions I would suggest would be add color to the blog to make it visually appeling. The white background is extremely harsh to look at. Also I began to ask more questions once I finished reading the blog because I left me hanging. I was very curious about the topic but I don't feel slightly informed. Don't start a story then suddenly end it too. I was getting into what happen and then it suddenly stopped leaving me wondering more than answering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Facts that surprised me about this post is first how many diseases and conditions this steriod can treat. What aslo surprised me was how it came at the high price of leaving the person with certain conditions. Its like it makes you better but then makes you worse. The video about the boy also surprised me, its just sad how some people have to live their lives.

    What i still would like to know is like kind of about her sister? her thoughts? and how it has directly affected her. I also want to know about how the medicine itself works, is it a pill or liquid? is it injested or injected? does it act like a typial drug? Can it be fatal? This blog makes me want to know more.

    The most memorable information about this topic is first how she completely captured my attention was how she says her sister is a user of this steroid. Now i want to know more about it on a research leavel, and a personal experience level.

    My only true suggestion is to keep going, tell more, i know i want to read and know more about this steroid. Tell me more please, about how it affects people, what they feel, how your sister feels. Just continue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to hear about the three different types of steroids. I would still like to know the difference between the three types of steroids. The way that Prednisone works is most memorable to me. I would suggest explaining why Prednisone causes those side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an athlete, I knew that there were the normal steroids, and because of watching House MD I knew that they were used in medicine, but I had no clue that there were three types! I also didn't know about the side effects mentioned in this blog.

    I still want to know more about the different types of steroids! The only one I truly know about is the one that athletes use because we had to watch a stupid steroids video for every sport. Are they also used for allergic reactions?

    The information that is definitely memorable is the situation with your sister. That fact makes me completely understand why you want to go into depth about this drug that is given to her that is supposedly treating her.

    It seems that this blog is still a work in progress. My suggestion would be to just go into detail about the other steroids. Talk about what they do and their side effects. Who are they used for typically?

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. i did not know that prednisone was used for so much. what other steroids are there? what are some of the less popular abuses of steroids? how dangerous, or helpful can they be? learning that prednisone is so useful is the most memorable aspect of this. i think you should definitely go more into detail about other steroids and their uses, or misuses. it would be great to learn more about both the good and the bad in regards to steroid use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was most surprised by the fact that this one type of steroid treats so many different illnesses.

    What is the difference between all 3 of the steroid types? Why are there so many side effects to using this steroid?

    The most memorable would definitely be the way prednisone works to help us.

    My suggestion would be to just include at least sometime of brief description of the other types of steroids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What facts surprised you?
    I was surprised by the fact that there are so many different uses for steriods, and enjoyed the fact that you focused on a good use.

    What questions do you still have?
    What other steriods can be used for medical treatments?

    What information is most memorable about this subject?
    The fact that you have a family member that uses this steriod. Also, the youtube video.

    What suggestions do you have for the blog creator?
    I would go into a little more specific detail about maybe how the steriod is used for treatment; like for instance does it focus on specific organs or muscle tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is By Darwin

    It surprised me how there are three types of steroids, i thought there was only the muscle one.

    how does your sister feel about this all? how is it used in the medical field?

    that you have a family memeber who had to use this drug, and how it affected her.

    i suggest you tell me more about the three in total. how it is used and prescribed, is it worth all the after effects? its just so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was by Brandon D.

    It surprised me that you have afamily member who had to suffer through all that because of this drug, and that so many people have to. I would like to know if more about all three, what all of them do. I found it intereting how there are three types of steroids, when we all think of only one. I suggest you tell me more about the effects that this drug has, and maybe get some doctoral interviews, see what they say

    ReplyDelete
  12. Published By Sam

    Well i found it very very very interesting about all the negative affects these steroids that are meant to help you have on the patients, its sad.

    I would like to know more about all three of them, i want to know what they all do, i want to research this on my own now.

    what i can never get out of my mind how this steroid has affected your older sister, poor her and poor you :(... i can see it must have helped her, but at what a cost. i hope she is feeling better.

    Try to expand on all the steroids, honestly you got my attention, i just want even more information now, but great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous

    I found this whole article surprising, three steroids, all the crap that comes with taking it, your sister!!! this is just wow.

    I want to know how people discovered the use of these steroids, and what happens if they are abused?

    I found it interesting how there are so many side affects and long term affects, haven't doctors figured a way to stop them?

    I don't really have any suggestions, this is a very interesting and informative blog, i enjoyed it a lot, thank, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yenni Wrote this.

    I found the whole side affects and long term effects thing surprising. Also that there are more steroids than the one used by body builders. I want to know more about the orgin of the steroid use, and why they use something that seems so destructive. Like i said the whole side effect and long term effect thing is jus interesting, also how sad its been for her sister. I suggest you research more and tell more about it, its a very intiguing topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I'm Claudia :D

    It surprised me sooooooo much how we may all know people who are on these steroid and completely uaware of it. OMG!!! It makes me wonder. For example your sister, thats your family.
    What i would like to know more about when it came to this type of subject is thoughts from a direct patient, like your sister, i would like to see what she says.
    It interest me how many diseases this steroid an be used to treat, it just sounds soooo good, too bad it has so many after effects.
    I would like it if you expanded on all steroids, that my only true suggestion. great information.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jovany

    it surprised me that this one steroid, prednisone, can be used to treat a variety of disease but has the such sad long term effects.

    i want to know why people who aren't even prrescribed to steroids even dare to take them? and where did this whole steroid thing beging?

    I find it so interesting how youre sister has gone through so much, she must be one though cookie.

    I don't really suggest anything, i learned a lot from this blog, i liked it, there is just so much things we are oblivious to, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The WildWildCat!!!


    Well i just find it surprising that there are three types of steriods. i thought there was only the one to make guys muscular, but there's one to treat sick people?????


    I want to know more about the effects of the other steroids? and how dangerous or helpful can using them be? and your opinion about whether they are worth all the effects?


    I found it interesting that the doctor told your sister she can't grow anymore; and after seeing the video of that kid i have to ask, "is it really that strong?"


    My only best suggestion is that you just expand on everything, it is a topic that may always be surrounding us, make me even more aware than you already have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is by Marvin G.

    Steroid can treat diseases? that surprised me... also that they can make more disease in their treatment. - How does your sister go through all that and keep her sanity? And is there a less dangerous alternative? - I find it interesting how true it is that there may be so manyh people around us on steroid or any drug and we aren't even aware of it. - No suggestions, great blog. i learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tevin B.

    *So it surprised me that one there is other steroid other than the muscle one, and two that people use them for medical purposes.

    *Why steroids in medicine? is it even that safe? is it more dangerous than safe? are they worth all the trouble? do you think they make people better or worse?

    *Your sister caught my interest, she's been through a lot because of these steroids, i can see they helped her, but she had to pay the consequences.

    *My suggestion is to expand on all three steroid, what do all three specifically do? and my overall rating is a 4.5/5 great topic, taught me a lot, and im not a big fan of medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Brendi,

    It seems that your audience was really interested in your topic! I love how you incorporate your sister's story into your blog. It personalizes an otherwise impersonal or un-relatable topic.

    I would recommend making your blog more visually appealing, so it can further engage the reader. I also feel there were a lot of unanswered questions and incomplete answers. It's okay to sometimes leave readers in suspense, but an exploratory topic is meant to satisfy the reader.

    Thank you for sharing all this information!
    Grade = 42/50

    ReplyDelete